Omega-3 Breakfast Cookies
Developed by our friend, registered dietitian Amy Fisher (@thegreenfisch), these omega-3 breakfast cookies are anything but unhealthy. They feature Vitacost® Super Cacao Coconut Bar with life’sDHA™ – a vegetarian source of DHA omega-3 from algae.
Omega-3 Breakfast Cookies
Serving Size: about 32 small or 24 medium-sized cookies
2 flax “eggs” (2 tbsp. Flax + 5 Tbsp. water, see instruction number 2 below)
¾ cup peanut butter (unsalted, unsweetened & creamy or crunchy)
2 tbsp. coconut oil (softened)
¼ cup maple syrup
½ cup shredded carrot
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup rolled oats
¾ cup oat flour
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. sea salt
½ cup raisins
¼ cup almonds (or walnuts)
2 tbsp. shredded coconut
1 Vitacost® Super Cacao Coconut Bar with life’sDHA™ Omega-3 (roughly chopped)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with unbleached parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a small bowl mix flax with water until it resembles the consistency of an egg and set aside.
3. Add bananas to medium sized mixing bowls and smash well with a fork. Add flax “egg,” peanut butter, coconut oil, maple syrup, carrot and vanilla extract.
4. In a separate medium size bowl combine the dry ingredients: oats, oat flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and sea salt, mixing well.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until well combined. Mix in the raisins, almonds, coconut and Vitacost® Super Cacao Coconut Bar with life’sDHA™ Omega-3, mixing well.
6. Place batter in refrigerator for 5-7 minutes to harden.
7. Drop a heaping tablespoon sized scoop of batter onto the parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Form slightly with hands so that cookies are uniform in size.
8. Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until the cookies are fragrant and browned. Let cookies cool and then move to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in airtight container for a few days or freeze. Enjoy!
Every bite counts as an opportunity to build strong, healthy bodies for your children. Read more for a sample day’s menu for your child, which packs in the healthy omega-3 DHA.
The human brain is made up of nearly 60 percent fat so it is no surprise that omega-3s are intimately linked to the health of this vital organ.
Whether you are of childbearing age, you are trying to conceive, or just found out that you are pregnant, prenatal dietary supplements
From before birth to old age, the omega-3 fatty acid DHA plays an important role in development and overall health.
Heart disease is the leading cause of death for men and women, accounting for one in every four deaths.
The link between omega-3 fatty acids and heart health is now pretty well known and widely accepted within the medical and health community
Happy 2017! The New Year provides a superb opportunity to reflect upon the food and nutrition trends in the past
How often do you find yourself forgetting the names of people you meet? Frustrating and embarrassing, right?
If you follow a vegetarian diet, then you likely find it difficult to get the heart-healthy omega-3s DHA and EPA