Summertime Blueberry and Lemon Pudding Pops
It’s summertime and your family is craving sweet treats to refresh them throughout the hot months. You want to give them something sweet with the nutrients they need to help them stay fueled for fun. Make these blueberry and lemon pudding popsicles that feature Horizon® Organic Milk with DHA omega-3. life’sDHA™ is a vegetarian source of DHA omega-3, which has proven brain, eye and heart health benefits throughout life.
Involve your children in the prep work to create a fun family activity.
Summertime Blueberry and Lemon Pudding Pops
Equipment: Ice pop mold, cheesecloth or fine mesh sieve
½ vanilla bean pod
½ cup honey
3 tbsp. arrowroot
¼ tsp. salt
3 cups Horizon® Organic Whole Milk with life’sDHA™ Omega-3
3 egg yolks
2 tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup fresh blueberries
2 tbsp. maple syrup
1 tbsp. grated lemon zest (~1 medium-sized lemon)
1. Place a fine mesh sieve over a medium-sized bowl or line bowl with cheesecloth and set aside.
2. Using a paring knife split the vanilla bean down its length on a cutting board. Using the dull side of the paring knife, scrape out the seeds from inside the vanilla bean pod and set aside.
3. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks together lightly and set aside.
4. In a medium-sized saucepan, mix together honey, arrowroot and salt until combined. Place over low heat and whisk in milk until well combined and ingredients are dissolved. Whisk in egg yolks and vanilla bean. Continue whisking over low heat for about 10 minutes until mixture resembles a pudding texture. Pour through cheesecloth or fine mesh sieve into bowl. Add vanilla extract and stir to combine. Place mixture in refrigerator for approximately 1 hour to thicken and cool.
5. Place blueberries in a small saucepan with maple syrup and bring to a boil over low heat. Let simmer for approximately 5 minutes, remove from heat and let cool slightly. Set aside.
6. Place lemon zest in half of ice pop molds and spoon blueberry syrup into other half.
7. Pour mixture into ice pop mold. Insert pop sticks and freeze overnight or until solid (approximately 5 hours). Run mold under warm water briefly to release pops from mold. Serve immediately and enjoy.
To learn more about Horizon® Organic Milk and to see a variety of milks with DHA omega-3, visit www.horizondairy.com.
Nelson Dellis, 4-time USA Memory Champion and adventure sport athlete, shares what a typical day looks like for this athlete. Nutrition is an important part of his daily routine and his training program. Brain Armor with life’sOMEGA vegetarian DHA and EPA omega-3s help to support his journey.
A nutritious diet is essential for every mother-to-be as nutritional deficiencies are common during pregnancy, but for the vegetarian mamma, it is even more important. Learn about four key nutrients for a healthy vegetarian pregnancy from award-winning dietitian Melanie McGrice, AdvAPD.
Although a vegetarian diet tends to be more protective against heart disease compared to a traditional Western diet, some risk factors for heart disease are increased. So, as a vegetarian, it’s still essential to consider your heart health.
Many mothers are caring for more people than just their children, they’re also caring for their parents who need to maintain healthy habits throughout the second half of their lives. If you’re a caregiver, read on to learn how an important nutrient – omega-3s – can help support your loved ones’ health.
The life’sDHA brand sat down with Nelson Dellis, memory champion and author of the new book “Remember It! The Names of People You Meet, All of Your Passwords, Where You Left Your Keys and Everything Else You Tend to Forget” to learn what a day in the life of a memory master looks like, and how we can help support our memories on a daily basis.
If you’re a parent, September can be hectic as summer winds down and the kids get ready to head back to school. Coming up with a roster of lunches that are healthy, taste good and – most importantly – are eaten is no small feat. Read on for tips from Abbie Gellman, registered dietitian and chef, on how to pack a nutritious lunchbox.
Certain strains of algae produce omega-3 EPA and DHA and are 100% sustainable.
A special Mother’s Day message from Nelson Dellis, Memory Champion, and his wife as they anticipate the arrival of their first child.
Did you know that you can get your omega-3 levels checked? Learn how registered dietitian, Tori Schmitt, fared when she had her levels checked.